The TEAM Philosophy (for handbook, scroll down.)
In the summer of 2014, a motivated group of SJMS team members (teachers, secretaries, and administrators) dedicated days of work to the design and implementation plans for a school-wide "PBIS," or Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports system. PBIS is "[o]ne of the foremost advances in school-wide discipline [with an] emphasis on school-wide systems of support that include proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate students behaviors to create positive school environments" (http://www.pbis.org/school).
In short, working together, we can make SJMS and even better place to learn and work. Team SJMS developed and adopted the acronym TEAM (see below) to remind us of four things Redwings do all day every day.
Expect to see the TEAM Philosophy in action all over campus and anywhere SJMS Redwings are found. Learn more at http://www.pbis.org/school and our YouTube Channel. Expect to see great things happening at SJMS, and thanks for being part of the TEAM.
ST. JOHNS MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENT/PARENT HANDBOOK
In order to assist students and parents in understanding our policies and procedures, the practices we employ to run our building in a safe, practical, supportive and respectful way, we provide each student with a copy of the St. Johns Middle School Student/Parent Handbook.
If you have questions about its contents, please contact the school. Effective communication between school and home, cooperation and shared expectations are crucial components for student success. We welcome you to read the handbook, visit our school, volunteer, join the St. Johns Middle School Community Group, or otherwise take an active role in your child's education.
After all, we are "Working as a team to build the future." That future lies in our students.
Updates to Handbook after Publishing
SJMS Facial Covering Policy:
Student Expectations: Students must wear appropriate facial coverings that fit snugly and filter respiratory droplets (as determined by administration) at all times. Facial coverings containing valves or other mechanisms that allow respiratory droplets to escape are prohibited.
- Students who fail to comply with this policy will be subject to discipline up to and including expulsion.
- First offense is a warning by staff/administrator with a disciplinary write up in Infinite Campus and parent contact.
- Second offense is a one day suspension or choice of online education.
- Third offense is between 3 and 5 day suspension and parent meeting with the school principal OR choice of online education.
- Fourth offense is a 5 to 10 day suspension and parent meeting with the superintendent of schools OR choice of online education.